Sunday, May 24, 2009

Why was I hit..

I knocked at door happily. I was so excited to see my new born cousin Sidd. Though he was a couple of months now but its still pleasure to see babies. I loved all my cousins, when was born I was fourteen and Sidd's elder sister was barely four and half years old. Sinni, we call her Sinni. The happy family is complete as Sidd joined into the family canvas; Uncle, Aunty, Sidd and Sinni.

Door opened, and my aunt appeared as doors parted apart with a smile but she looked tired somewhat exhausted with the new born's nursery. "Good Morning Aunty!! how are you? How is Sidd?" I was excited in my tone. "Good, my dear. How are you? How is your studies going on? Sidd is good, he is inside, Come!! Come!!".

As we crossed the Lon, Sinni appeared. I addressed " Hey Sinni.......",

I stopped with a surprise as I could see tears in her eyes. She was frightened. My eyes were puzzled " What's going on !!!". Swiftly Uncle came behind Sinni and shouted at her, " You did it, right???.... I told you keep away from it .... but no ... you did even though I told you not to do???"
And with a swift he slapped her so hard that her face collided with the wall nearby. She trembled and struggled to stand on her feet again. She started crying.

My all excitement died deep into a grave and vanished. Both of us me and my aunty run to Sinni asking "What happened?" Aunty took Sinni into her arms and she started crying even louder. Uncle glared at her with red eyes in anger "Not a single cry !!". Sinni's loud outcry converted into sobs with immediate effect. Uncle looked at me, a guest at home. I was stunned, he turned back and went inside.

An unexpected fear crept into my bones. Tears came to my eyes. The next words I could hear were my aunt's, comforting my little cousin. I wanted to ask what has happened so severely, what a crime this young girl has committed to be punished like this. As I was about to ask my aunt, her eyes clearly implicated that this is not a right time to ask any questions.

That was too much for the day, I was done. I could not entered into the house anymore. I said " I want to go home, I will come back later". She agreed without persuading me much not to go. I too understood and left immediately.

While going back home, I remembered something. Dim memory of my childhood, I was hardly five or six year old. I remembered myself talking to my dad. Happy chatting.. we both were lying down in bed and chatting. He asked something, I don't remember WHAT!! and I answered something, I don't remember WHAT!! and suddenly I felt something heavy and hurting on my face... a swift blow... a slap.... next moment my body swing and I was on my feed on bed... second moment one more slap and I was on bed again my face down.... I didn't understand what happened and why happened... the only thing I felt was to cry ... cry aloud ... and I starting crying.

My mom came in running... hugged me ... hiding me into her arms... and I was unable to stop crying. Suddenly a loud hard voice vibrated my eardrum " STOP... no cries"... The commending voice converted into an electric shock travelled down through my spine and mind .... and the next moment I was sobbing silently... still in horror... hugging my mom desperately.

Next, I remember was: We, three of us, me my mom and my dad standing near roof boundary. I was hardly tall enough to look cross the one and haft feet high boundary wall. Mom was not happy with whatever happened a while ago. She looked straight across the wall watching roads and pedestrians downside. Dad broke the silence, explaining why I was beaten. His voice and gesture was something as if it was amusing!!.

Of course, my mom was never convinced. I tried hard to understand what did I say or what crime I committed to get such a punishment. I gave up...

Now, walking back to home from aunt's house, I understand why I could not understand the reason. Because I was TOO young to understand. My mind raced back to Sinni and I was now damn curious to know my answer through Sinni's crime. My be I have also committed such crime to get similar punishment... even harder.

After several days, we had get together at my home. Everyone happy and chatting. I couldn't stop myself asking what did Sinni do that day. My uncle started laughing, "O' you still remember it !!! I forgot long back!" with a long wide smile on his face.

"Of course, I do remember. Is it so funny! REALLY !!. I remember everything even after ten years" I thought but kept quite waiting for my answer.

"I put cleaned wheat grain on roof to dry up in the morning. I told her not to play around there. In the afternoon when I went up to check, she was not only playing with it but also poured water in spoiling everything!", My uncle responded.

WHAT A CRIME !!!!

I could understand that I must have done something similar.

Total Hits

5 comments:

  1. Hi Neha, nice to see ur blog!
    Yes some of the childhood incidents are hard to forget and hurt us for a life time.
    this one was very well written connecting different incidents and making readers understand the impact a bad incident has on a child. profound writing..

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks... yeah some incidents have long long lasting impact...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey.. nice blog! keep the stories coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well written post, and story of many houses and schools.

    Parents /teachers shall understand that hurting physically not only hurt the kids/students from outside, but from inside too.. and sometime it takes years to cure this pain. And if it is done repeatedly, it is even worse..One might have read many news where kids were beaten up and they lost the eyesight, or hearing power; and some were beaten up so much that they went in to coma and died finally.

    Kids shall not be beaten up on the name of discipline. Parents/teachers shall understand that definition of discipline changes with age of the kids/students, and everyone shall adapt the way of teaching and learning accordingly.

    At certain age when kids are young, their mind don’t understand “DONOT” . If parents/teachers adopt the method of “DONOT DO THIS” with the kid.. they will surely ignore it. Instead, tell them why certain things shall be avoided, and why it is good or bad for them. After all they are kids.. they will like to play in dust, sun and rain, throw and break the things.. let them enjoy as far as they are safe and do not hurt themselves.

    Parents/teachers shall use push and pull methods of teaching the kids/students…Find their inner strengths and channelize in right directions to help them grow in their education and extracurricular activities, this will result in a good career, and will help them to be a good human being- who are true to their Inner Selves.


    I sincerely hope to follow what I have written above ☺

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to read through your blog Neha... touching stories indeed :)
    you seem to have found a great way to while away your time! :) :)

    ReplyDelete